Monday, February 6, 2012

"New" Friendship


I have been doing a lot of heavy thinking tonight. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I'm sitting up late tonight with so much swirling through my head. This quote reminds me of one of my dear friends. So thankful to have her back into my life. We were the best of friends for so long in high school and immediately after. Some heartache happened, and we lost mostly all contact for about seven years. Life went on. We grew up. Things still reminded me of her from time to time, and it made me smile sometimes, cry sometimes, but mostly it made me remember.

I would remember all the good times we shared. I would remember all the tears we shed. I would remember all the laughs.

After all this time, through more heartache, we have come back to a place of friendship again. I know that things will never be the same again. I am not going to be unrealistic and think that all this time can pass and things will just "go back to normal" because normal isn't the same anymore. I guess the best way to explain this is that I don't want to "fix" our old friendship, but rather, I'd like to enjoy our whole new friendship that is currently developing. I am enjoying re-learning things about each other. I'm enjoying becoming friends as we are now--as adults. She's now a mother of two beautiful children, and I am a grown-up on the verge of engagement.

It's wonderful because I get to share new experiences with her. We get to share the things we "missed" in the seven years we weren't friends, and I'm enjoying the new "normal" in our lives. So far it was worth the seven year wait, and it is an exciting journey of "re-knowing" each other. So thankful for this opportunity in our lives. I know that we needed that time apart to become who we are today in order to have the friendship now that I do so very much cherish.

Thank you for letting me share a little of my heart with you tonight. Hopefully next time I write I will be a little less sad and heartfelt and a little more cheerful and entertaining instead.

Hope you all have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. This almost made me cry. I have a dear woman I was friends with for almost 20 years. It has been over a year since we have spoken and I think of her daily. I am so happy for you to get to have your friend back in your life. May a new, better friendship grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kasady. I am sorry to hear about you and your friend. I hope that someday you can find your way back to one another... True friends are hard to come by. The older I get the more I realize that fact. Thank you for reading :-)

    ReplyDelete